Monday, February 27, 2012

Should, Have to & Can't - really ladies?!

I can’t do that!  I am so stupid! I will never be able to do that! Why can’t I be as cute or as thin as her?! I am so FAT! What a big butt I have!  …..how many times have you heard yourself say that to yourself?  Internal dialog is a killer – zaps a person’s self confidence, reinforces self-loathing, holds us back from what we all really want & that is to feel good about ourselves – to be happy with ourselves – to embrace our own self worth – inevitably to love our selves.



One of the worst things that we as women do to ourselves that hinders our peace of mind is the way that we talk to ourselves in the privacy of our own minds.  The stress we create within our own mind – we all do it.  I do it on a daily basis……even on those rare occasions when I am actually feeling good about myself……not sure why…



I am thinking that if we eliminate three simple words/phases that seem to cut us in two & replace them with three positive words/phases…….





                                                                1.     SHOULD

                                                               2.     HAVE TOO

                                                                3.     CAN’T



…lets erase the above victim words that imply we have no power, no choice………lets replace them with..



1.     CHOOSE TOO

2.     WANT TOO

3.     WILL



Creating an empowering internal dialogue is simple…just not easy.  Its it so hard to break old habits….It starts by acknowledging that WE have the power to decide to speak to ourselves  in a positive way – can you make the commitment ?






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!!

Unknown said...

But I would add that self criticism may be one killer, so would ignoring or dissing external supportive comments from loved ones and friends. Accepting external feedback is no where near on the same level as accepting internal feedback, but what's the sense in refuting ANY/ALL positive feedback?