Thursday, January 3, 2013

....friendship


Don't walk behind me...I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me...I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

~Albert Camus

 

….friendships play a major role in our lives whether we can admit it or not.  As of late I have been thinking a lot about the meaning of friendship  & how important they  are…I am very blessed & hold sacred those special relationships I have formed over the years.

 

  ….it’s amazing the terrific impact on my life and though I've known some friends for only a short time, it feels, sometimes, like a lifetime.

 

……speaking of a lifetime friend…..I am so fortunate to have had one very meaningful friendship for…hummmm…we met in kindergarten…..so that’s  42 years…damn!   WOW!  I so believe I am who I am because we were friends & partners in crime. This week is a huge milestone for her… my friend turns the BIG 50! No matter where we are in our lives….when we are together or talk  we are right back where we were so many years ago.

 

….friendships are so many things to so many people and can be different for everyone and in every relationship. As we get older, good friendships are harder to find, but, for this reason, I think it is even more important to cherish and celebrate our friendships.

 

…..I've been fortunate enough to have friends by my side, journeying with me down the winding, curving roads of life's highs and lows. The past years have been filled with change and transformation for me and I couldn't be more grateful for those who have been beside me, supporting me -- for those who are my friends.

 

….because of my friendships, I have been changed….that's the glory of friendship -- even those that seem wasted …they make you better….they change you. We often think about this concept in relation to romantic relationships. We tell ourselves that a broken heart will make us stronger, better, but what about a broken friendship? It does the same thing. We can see the good in it, the positive, even when it doesn't seem like there is any….just think of all the wonderful, inspiring things we learn from all of our  friends on a daily basis!

 

….friendships come &  go. Some are for life, some are only passing, fleeting moments that we share with other people, but all of them change us. They change us for good, and many change us for the better. I am so fortunate to be in the company of such amazing people in my life. I am so lucky to have friends that love me, challenge me, teach me, push me, and want the best for me. Every day my friends change me without even knowing it. Every day they make me better.

 

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

Well, it may never be
That we'll meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a hand print on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good

"For Good"
from Wicked

 

 

“We are all connected in ways we cannot even begin to fathom. Our lives unfold through each other and within each other.” ~David Rhodes

 

 

 

No comments: