Friday, January 11, 2013

...love affair with my jeans


…do you have a pair of jeans on right now?   How about yesterday..or the day before?  I have been having a love affair with blue jeans since before I can even remember…there one item of clothing is more American…not to mention loved by Americans than blue jeans.  Who would have thought that two visionary immigrants in 1873 would turn denim into the phenomenon that it is today….what do you think is the average number of jeans owned by any one person???........7+ pairs…….I do own a few more than that….

 

What makes jeans such a staple in so many peoples wardrobe?  For me….they are my “go to” look…I wear my jeans with everything from heels to blazers to pearls…..jeans are a neutral, dress them up, dress them down…dark wash, acid wash, colored jeans, ripped jeans…...just gotta love them ALL!    

 

Its hard to imagine a world without blue jeans…over time jeans have risen from the bottom of the fashion food chain to the tip top…….. but in actuality  when my mom was young blue jeans were just taking on their popularity High school kids in the 50’s wore blue jeans as a radical way of defining themselves, a way of looking dangerous & rebellious which can greatly  be attributed to the influence of the movies & music.  Less than a decade later jeans became the uniform for young adult baby boomers – the hippy movement waging a generational war.

 

Jeans transformed high fashion in the 80’s with all the designer jeans like Jordache, Sergio Valente…and of course Calvin Klein……who can forget that controversial TV commercial with Brook Shields?   “Nothing comes between me and my Calvin’s”  …that’s because they were skin tight & she had camel toe…lol  …the 90’s saw a little change…of course jeans were still in style…..a new generation started expanding their look from jeans to khakis, carpenter pants…..oh and combat pants…..oh yes I bought off on all those looks at one time or another..lol

 

Now…jeans/denim is everywhere……designers catwalks, accessories, home décor, etc….everything from embellishments to washes to ripped up ……low rise, high waited, slim cut, loose fit……the market offers us unlimited possibilities…who was have thunk it….what .two immigrants started has turned into today’s biggest fashion statement……..jeans have to be the best single item of appeal ever designed….

 

..so what’s in your closet?  I find it to be interesting to hear how we each have our own ideas or philosophy about our trusted friends…yes …jeans.  For instance…….I like mine with a center crease and hung not folded…….in my mind the center crease somehow gives the illusion that I am slimmer than I actually am…lol…at least in my head I guess… if I have dark jeans I like to wash them inside out so they don’t fade……I wear jeans to almost any event at any location….dress them up..dress them down….I love my jeans!

 

I have to admit…I am fascinated by the ripped up jeans trend…..when I was younger of course I wore ripped jean..mostly because they were easy to wear & I have to admit I was lazy & cheap.   Today….at almost 50..yes I do have a few pairs that I bought that yes indeed are ripped…..am I told old to wear them..maybe….but its not like my old saggy butt is hanging out….lol  I kinda like the look…

 

..it doesn’t matter if you like the flare legs, slim leg or boot cut…..there are so many different cuts & styles to choose from…..its a buffet of denim….so I think we should try them all on.

 Love my jeans!

No comments: