Monday, January 7, 2013

...time to un-deck the halls...whew!


……oh yes..The time has come to un-deck the halls…I love that – just too funnyJ  what a job!  I have to admit transforming our house from normal everyday living décor – which I love…to a showplace of holiday cheer and nostalgia is way way more fun than the pull down pack up thing.  

 

After last year feeling so crappy & not even digging out the xmas stuff…I did drag the tree up from the basement & bought a tree décor in a bag set at the Wally-World for like $20….looked nice & yes I reused then again this yearJ ……I decided to do it up right this year…we decided to have a holiday party…so I wanted to make sure our home was filled with the holiday spirit….everywhere….and I mean everywhere….lol

 

I must have 20 red & green Rubbermaid tubs filled with xmas décor…yes I said red & green tubs…lol..pretty impressive huh…..yes I am a Martha Stewart wanna be….I just thought that since we moved so often over the years it would make it so much easier to have our storage boxes color coded…..crazy but smart….so anyways…..I also have had several themes over the years….so I decided that this years I would recycle all previous xmas themes by using one theme in each room….I like it!

 

In my living room I decided to do homespun…tree #1 was a small table top tree with country ornaments, pinecones & cinnamon sticks….I carried that look over to my windows as well…..My dining room…trees # 2-4 as well as my buffet, window & table were decorated in gold……tree #5 was in my bathroom…I used natural twigs & pinecones with greenery & sheer burgundy ribbon….I carried that them out to my staircase railings since they are right outside the bathroom door….tree# 6 was in the “Man Cave”…Mitch set it up…he used our collection of Military ornaments we have collected over the many Army years……tree #7…..our biggest & our main tree was in the TV room beside the fire place…I recycled the Wally-World plastic ornaments in red & silver….and since my kitchen is connected to the TV room I cared the red & silver throughout.

 

I was thrilled with the way the house looked…..and of course Mitch put us a few outdoor items….the evening of our holiday party the house smelled of cinnamon….I love to entertain….i especially love to  put out a nice spread..Must be the Italian in me because I sure do like to see people eat..lol   I decorated the tables to coordinate with the decor of each  room…I used the kitchen table as the dessert take…..the counter/bar as the appetizers, and punch bowls….Mitch made an xmas punch…laced & unlaced..lol …the dining room table & buffet for the main courses & salads…..I have to say I made a lot of food & friends each brought something to share – no one went hungry that night!

 

We also asked each person to bring a $10 wrapped gift for a Chinese gift exchange…..which was a fun idea – it was funny watching what gifts were opened & which ones were taken away..I think we will do this again next year if we decide to ring in the holidays with a party.

 

I think that fun was had by all…however come to find out the next couple of days several guests were sick…I thought OMG it was the food...I felt so bad but was relieved to hear it wasn’t from out party foods at all...it was a bug going around…whew!!!

No comments: