Friday, June 7, 2013

…no way…I would never……..


..I hear those words on a daily basis since May 17, 2013…the day I shaved my head…I blogged about me shaving my head…..but I really never elaborated as to the whys & the how comes…….

 

…why…turning 50 was a huge mile stone in my life….almost as though I felt a cosmic shift or enlightenment of sorts from within….I was preparing  to start a new chapter in my life…a chapter in which I felt for the first time I was coming into my own pre say……a rebirth of sorts……..after spending many years wandering…I felt it was time….time to tap into the person I was….the one I kept hidden….once…19 yrs ago after a terrible loss I cut my hair extremely…I mean extremely short…..I felt I needed to focus internally as opposed to externally in order to heal my heart. So in a way…at 50.. I am kinda doing the same thing….just not out of sorrow…..more out of celebration of me.

 
…I will admit….I was nervous….when it was done….it was scary….and liberating at the same time……I felt very exposed….and kinda vulnerable….somewhat intense…and  kinda sexy……I could feel every breeze in a way as never before felt…I loved it..I loved what it meant to me & how it made me feel……plus it is a little controversial!

 


 

…going into the whole head shaving thing my intentions were not to make light of anyone who has lost their hair for medical reasons…my decision to shave my head was my decision. It has nor has anything what so ever to do with anyone else….

 

….it  amazes me how people….strangers…men & women have reacted to me & my bald head…..I have always been very social & outgoing…..but there is a real change…people are nicer to me…they really are…..I have to assume it is because they think I am ill……..how sad is that that people are only nice when they think they person they are dealing with is ill…..WOW!  I went to the DMV on my birthday to get my plates renewed & a new driver’s license….a few people were ahead of me in line……we all know that the employees of the DMV have a reputation of being difficult to deal with & not so nice………well there sure were nice to me that day…..everyone in line was as well…..people them me go ahead of the…no shit…I know…hard to believe….I even said no thank you & they insisted…..the folks at the counter were more than friendly…..the gal renewing my license asked me not once but twice if I has any illness that would cause problems driving….she didn’t believe me when she asked me the first time & I said no.  LOL   The fellow who took my picture for my license handed it to me & said that was the best picture he had taken all day……oh pleeeze……a 50 yr old overweight bald woman w/ glasses…….come on mister. lol

 


….people’s reaction to be being bald is kinda exciting…intriguing & seems to captivate them….I actually get similar reactions from men & women…in terms of how they look at me…I think it shocks people..catches them off guard…some seem to enjoy checking me out while others look away as fast as possible…it is kinda funny…..women have come right out & asked me if I had cancer…always being polite..but curious…men on the other hand don’t say a word..not one word…..a friend of mine the other day said her hubby would divorce her if ever she shaved her head…..I looked at my hubby & asked him what he thought…..if he ever considered divorce or even being angry because I shaved my head……he said without batting an eye….”Your hair is not Lisa, I married Lisa”……OMG – I loved him for saying that…most of all I love him for who he is & how he loves me…..hair or no hair.

 


…a few women have commented that being bald suited me…I have to say I do have a nice shaped head..lol  a couple have even expressed that they wish they were as brave as me…brave enough to shave their heads…I know shaving my head was a bold move on my part..but brave….uh no…. being brave never entered my mind…….it has absolutely nothing to do with bravery…

 

…it didn’t take me long to recognize that people got a bit nervous around me….they didn’t know if my baldness was from a nasty disease..or chemo…..I think if confessed them…..to see me w/o hair but yet looking healthy, happy & laughing ….not knowing how to interact with me….the unknown gets ya every time.

 
…turns out my shaven head is not all the unusual…..Hollywood starlets like  Sinead O’Connor…Natalie Portman and Kelli Pickler all have sported the bald head for some reason or another….here is also a women’s head shaving organization out there..who knew…….we I for one am digging my new do…..I thought I would only do it once…and let it grow out……well as of today I have done it twice & I plan to continue……bought my own clippers…..who knows…maybe I will start a trend…….would you ever shave your head?

No comments: