Sunday, July 7, 2013

........love a good drag....



...no one can rock a pair of Lee Press-on nails like my beloved long time friend....Hank...(out of respect for his memory..I am not going to use his real name.....I do know he would love such a butch name as Hank...lol)... like little did I know that afternoon almost years ago I met the person who would influence my life & open my eyes up to a world I didn’t know existed......Hank was gay...would occasionally pet a kitty or two...but for the most part ...he was a man’s man.....I could go on & on about the trouble the two of us got into...or the powerful connection we shared.....or how my heart broke the day he passed.....someday.....when/if I am ready I will share my details of our relationship...but for now.....lets talk DRAG!   RIP – I LOVE you Hank!


 

omg.....my first real experience with drag....a rainy Saturday even with nothing to do Hank & I decided to do the gay bar.....if you haven’t been to a guy bar you so so missing out...straight or gay I have had more fun an any other bar....so....in the pouring rain....all smoked up we headed up the road...they ..not sure if it was my idea or Hank’s...we decided to stop at the Goodwill & get Hank  a dress...he was gonna do drag.......let me just tell you there is a big difference between a guy putting on a dress & a drag queen.....lets just say...Hank was no drag queen! 

 


..just in case you have been living under a rock somewhere in Deliverance country.....a drag queen is a contemporary term..... to cross dress in an extreme or flamboyant manner.....the mantra of a drag queen......”I am proud to be who I am no matter who does not like it!”  I say is there any other way to be?  NO! .....a drag queen is a man (not always gay) impersonating a woman for the purpose of entertainment or performance...artistic expression in its highest form!  Don’t confuse drag with transvestism......they are similar  & both involve cross dressing...however most transvestites do not cross dress to be seen...they do so to feel like a woman......drag queens like to put it out there!


 

...ya know men dressing as woman in performance has been around since Shakespearean times.....men would play the roles of the chicks because the chicks were not allowed on stage.....after many many years of struggle & discrimination.

...and with the help of shows like RuPaul’s Drag Race....audiences are flocking to see drag queen preform......they are more beautiful & talented than ever.  Most design..create & made their own outfits...it is truly amazing.....just think about the amount of talent that goes into doing their make up...amazing. 



......my friend Hank....well he needed a little help in the make up department......maybe it was the after 5 shadow...or the old lady house frock...could have been the hairy legs......everyone know he was no drag queen...just a boy in a dress......we were kicked out of the gay club......can you imagine getting kicked out of a gay club.....lol no harm..we went back several times after that...of course.....so where do ya good when you are dressed up & wanna party.......a straight bar of course...not just any straight bar...a straight hick bar in a small town......of yea...I walked in & asked the bartender...I happen to know him...if I could bring in my friend....he looked at me kinda strange & said yes....I then said...no no no....my “friend”.....he’s dressed in drag......then he said – Hell yes....bring him in!  This could have been on he’ll of a mistake....but we were stoned & happy...so we went for it.....




....I have to say that little hick bar had never seen the likes of Hank before....most people knew he was a guy in a dress....but as the evening went on...and the alcohol down...in shots.....Hank’s panty hose came off.....but not those Less Press-On nails......I will never forget hearing Hank say in a drunken slur...”.look how long my fingers look – who knew I had such pretty hand”  lol......it still makes me laugh.   Of course if you mix alcohol & hicks...you are bound to get a bar fight......Hank being the many man he is.....not to mention drunk & stoned....when the fight broke out...he jumped into action..dress..heels...wig and all...grabbed one of the fellas around the neck & took him outside.....well...all women who wear dresses know that if you put your arms up your dress goes up......I guess they don’t teach that to guys.......Hank gets this drunken hick outside...still in a head lock hold the hick looks down ......Hank...who didn’t wear panties under his hose was hanging out below his dress.....the hick looked up at him & said “ you an’t no girl”....hilarious.....true story.  I laughed till I cried.......Hank was just happy he didn’t loose any of his Lee Press-on nails.




....I have been lucky to have had many friendships with guys who dress in drag...some just for fun and others who do it for a living......one thing that I have learned first hand from each & every one is tolerance & acceptance.  I have been honored with the opportunity to create fabulous gowns...over the top hats...plus so much more.....someday I hope to tap into my creativity & do more...for now I am just so thrilled to have been part of  this  over the top..flamboyant...wonderful group of guys. I love ya Cher & Barbara..wink wink 



....I know you wanna know more about drag queens......maybe you are not ready to do the club thing...so check out the movie “Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert”.....or '”To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar”..


 

....and of course “Wigstock”.....for a twist check out “Connie & Carla”...two chicks dress like men who dress like woman...way too funny.  No matter what your thoughts are...drag queens are dedicated to their craft.....they need to know pop-culture history..be masters of makeup and have the ability to create a variety of characters.



 



No comments: