Saturday, August 1, 2015

My body is my journal and my tattoos are my story......


..growing up the only tattoos I ever saw was my uncle’s…he was  Navy guy & has a hula girl on his forearm….
I thought was just too cool…as a teen saw a few home-done tats & I  knew a guy who sported a single tear drop under his eye… heard that was because he killed a man in prison…..who knows if that’s true……my point is…I really didn’t give tattoos much thought…wow has that changed!


…. in my late 20s when I got my 1st tattoo….for some reason I got this pink flower on my thigh..I thought I was  cool…..not sure why I picked a pink flower

…..it didn’t reflect who I was then….or now…that’s for damn sure????

…adorning your body w/ tattoos……and piercings……oh hell yes – I have piercings too……..has gotten increasingly popular….maybe because of all the tattoo show on TV..not  sure…..not only do teens & young adults dig tats..tats are embraced by the older folks…like me!



...  tattoos used to be associated w/ risky & deviant behaviors…… still might in some cases….but for me…tattoos are a form of self-expression…a way to show my individuality…. uniqueness that is me…..not to mention tattoos are an awesome conversation starter…just sayin...wink wink...lol


….I for one crave individuality …. artistic expression……ya know w/ society hooked on electronic communication…a person can communicate with  the outside world via body ink….we don’t have to talk…just look…lol……tattoos tell a lot of about the person sporting them....

....the problem is at the end of the day ya can’t control how people respond to your body art….ya would have to be incredibly naïve or in total denial to think that your tattoos are not gonna have a huge positive …or negative  influence on folks…..good…bad or otherwise…..people are gonna make a judgment call…..how fair is that? 

.. the J-O-B…..employers want a certain image projected by their employees….most have dress codes designed to project that  image….I get that……if your work is not affected by visible tattoos & piercings should it be a problem at work…
....some employers are less likely to even hire folks w/ visible tattoos....its gotta be the stereotype that goes along w/ tattoos....they assume it makes an impact on the type of person they are...come on....seriously....is it really relevant????

...stereotypes are a bitch......even the US Military & police has revised it’s position on visible tattoos...in this appearance-obsessed world we live in.....its hard for people not to judge on appearances....complete acceptance is NOT the rule.....will it ever be??? 

....diversity is everywhere....new norms to accept & opening of minds....new perspectives.....but the truth is discrimination is still a problem....it’s a challenging thing to understand...accept and overcome...its doesn’t matter the color of your skin.....religious beliefs.... lifestyle choices.....tattoos....discrimination is all around us....sad...very sad





...putting a message....picture or symbol on your body for all to see makes ya open to public perception..backlash...judgment....it is a risk taken by all tattoo-d folks....but should it automatically subject folks to hurtful stereotypes based on visible tattoos....really?


....we are constantly encouraged to give everyone the benefit of the doubt....assume the best in others......why is it that some people have such a struggle w/  ink?   ....that same open mind & benefit of the doubt should apply to those who chose to express themselves  w/ ink......what ever happened to treating others who we would want them to treat us???? 


...no matter if you dig tattoos or not they are more popular than ever...our bodies have become the refrigerator magnets of quotes & images...sayings & reminders.....the days of only seeing tattoos in the freak show are over....ink is more popular than ever...what a great way to show your unique self?!  HELL YES!








 












 
   



 

No comments: