Thursday, September 17, 2015

...bless my mess


…well….I do think my home is an extension of my “self”….I think of my home’s décor as a way to express myself….keep in mind I am not the only one who lives in my house so the décor has to be somewhat family friendly..I said “somewhat”…our house has a man cave to my hubby is happy…he even took over my basement office  so he has nothing to complain about…lol

…being married once before & moving w/ my GI Joe hubby we have called many different places home..each with their own unique style & flair…w/ a touch of pizazz…I think in my adult life I had almost every decor style out there at one time or another…..hand me down yard sale chic……old rusty primitive…..sweet angelic romantic country…..cheap  & uncomfy modern…..garden theme…..cow theme…. angel theme….country casual….blah blah blah…..I will admit looking back I have to wonder what in the hell was I thinking…..I guess live & learn..as our lives evolve so does our taste ….

…after viewing what seemed like 1000s of homes we bought a modest 3 bedroom in a little housing community on the other side of the tracks….friends lovingly refer to it as the “slums”…but in reality we got exactly what we wanted….let me clarify…we got exactly what we thought we wanted…lol…..we do love our house….but discovered early on…owning is a lot more costly than renting…..

…we were so lucky when we bought our house…not only was it in excellent condition…it was very nicely landscaped….we were so excited….at that time the govt was giving some sort of rebate which we qualified for & we were lucky enough to buy all new furniture to be deliver prior to move in day…..so exciting…and fun picking out new furniture for every room in our new house….

…a few years later we decided it was time to spruce up….the previous owners were not afraid of color that is for sure…..and we lived with their wall colors for a while..but it was time to make it our own..so with the help of a good friend.. painted almost every room in my house….looking back I wish I had picked darker colors for some of the rooms..but all in all they entire house looked beautiful…

…fast forward a few years…..we still love our house…..did I need a house w/ a formal dining room…no..it just took a few years for me to realize it was just another name for a catch all junk room..lol….so I concerted it into a sewing craft room…..which as soon as I get it cleaned & organized I am sure it will be fabulous!

….so now….we are empty nesters….trying to get used to our new normal…..and by my disillusioned attempt to control what I can not control I have decided to spruce up my home…once again….somehow I have it in my head that the idea of perfection/happiness is more easily  attainable if I buy a new lampshade or curtains…..my mission is to decorate my home just right…..for us…..ok me..lol

….so I decided that my new go to color is RED….kind of a burnt red……looks great w/ brown…so I make new window valances for my kitchen area…using a set of old shutters I picked up at a yard sale years ago….I really like how it turned out…..not so bad for printed burlap…..looks good w/ the glass tiles I put up a few months back…..I also decided to change out the throw pillow in the TV room to red  & pull down & redo all my wall décor w/ pops of red….love it!




….I have a few more things create to complete the “red transition”..but  in the meanwhile I really am enjoying how it looks.  Now I need to work on decluttering & organizing my craft/sewing room…decluttering & purging is an incredible feeling don’t ya think?!......it makes me feel in control of my life….when things in my house are organized & under control I feel like I am at peace….is that weird???  If so I own it!

…I like everyone wants to live an easier..stress-less life…..as far as I am tolerance for disorganization & clutter lessons w/ each passing day….I think it is more of a matter of maturing & knowing what stuff is just not important for me to have a happy life and what is….plus the feeling of being overwhelmed by clutter…..just too much for me in my old age..lol

..I read an article about a different point of view when decluttering your stuff…..you should choose the items that you want to keep…not the items you wanna toss…it’s a change of mind set..this is a great idea..think about it……I have always used the logic ..have I used this in the last six months…..will I ever use this again…..that’s been my mantra….but…instead I should try asking myself…this item make me happy….if I say yes – KEEPER!....if I say no – TRASH IT BABY! 
 


 

No comments: