Sunday, February 26, 2012

.....who are we.....really?

Who are we?  What a question – how do you answer?  Why do we feel the need to label ourselves?  If you say you don’t you are not being honest – we all label ourselves.  

Think about it….how many stay at home moms when asked what they do say I am just a mom or a wife……I for one thought of myself as a military spouse for years – when Mitch retired I didn’t know who I was or who I was supposed to be.  I was lost – took me a long time to get over it – I still struggle with it – I identified myself as a military wife – that’s who I was day in and day out for many years – then one day poof – I was no longer a military wife – I was living as a  civilian. 

Longing to find myself – LOL  I hate when people use that phrase – but for lack of a better phrase – longing to find myself or better needing to figure out who I was going to be after life as a military wife…..



I was lucky enough to land in a confy somewhat familiar job as a defense contractor – it was very easy transition because of my familiarity with the military & my military mentality.  During that period of my life I identified myself as a defense contractor – that’s who I was.  When that job ended after 4 years I was devastated..


 – once again found myself in a situation where I was lost – I felt like I was not only no longer a military wife nor a defense contractor…I was lost…….once again.



Over the following year I immersed myself into my home, my yard & my garden……..Mitch & Maddie where busy living their lives to really notice me flittering around.  Over that time period we had the nicest yard, most beautiful flowerbeds and a killer garden not to mention my house was immaculate & I never had dirty laundry…lol In my mind I needed to be perfect to feed my own self worth - or should I say my lack of self worth?!

It was at that time that I stared this blog – of course back then it was just about gardening & cooking……I like to say I have evolved……kinda lol. Yes from time to time I am somewhat nasty...hehe....but thats me - sorry if I offend you. I am who I am.



Once again lady luck knocked on my door & a job appeared out of the blue for me – close to home & doing somewhat what I did previously as a defense contractor.  I am happy to say I am still a contractor & my company just extended my contract for another 6 months – yippee!



Who are we?  Are we are jobs?  Our vocation on life?   I know how I have felt each time one of my many jobs ended – the sense of loss, the nervousness of the unknown….the one thing I always had was a safety net – Mitch, so now as I watch the changes occurring in Mitch’s career I can only imagine  how he is feeling. 

To go from being a career soldier, and the humbling feeling of taking any job to have a job, then to land the career job thinking this was gonna be end all be all to have the rug pulled out from under you & have to enter that job search phase all over again……I  know he will come out of this even better than ever with a job he likes – there is no doubt – I still cannot imagine his frustration, anger, nervousness, etc.  

The one thing I do know is he now is struggling with who he is……I am here to tell you he is so much more than his J O B – he is a loving & supportive husband who adores his children & grandchildren, a man who has a passion for right & wrong, a man willing to do what he needs to take care of his family.  We are very lucky to call Mitch the head of our familyJ



So……right now, if asked who I am………I am Mitch’s wife, one who supports him in whatever & however he decides to move forward!








No comments: