Saturday, January 26, 2013

....tea that provides sustenance to the soul


..I find it very interesting that when life is sailing along & things appear to be good I am less in tune with  my feelings & what my heart is open to;  as oppose to when things are dim & bleak….I am more in touch with my feelings & emotions…my heart is more accepting  & caring than any other time…….but yet… when I am at my lowest I am the hardest on myself….I am quick to label myself as bad,  inadequate, a failure, blah blah blah…….but really….when my heart is open…..doesn’t that really reflect what’s within me at my core?  So in actuality I am at my best when I am at my lowest.   Hmmmmmm……..

 

We could learn to stop when the sun goes down and when the sun comes up. We could learn to listen to the wind; we could learn to notice that it’s raining or snowing or hailing or calm. We could reconnect with the weather that is ourselves, and we could realize that it’s sad. The sadder it is, and the vaster it is, the more our heart opens. We can stop thinking that good practice is when it’s smooth and calm, and bad practice is when it’s rough and dark. If we can hold it all in our hearts, then we can make a proper cup of tea.”  
~ Buddhist nun Pema Chodron

The tea that Chodron speaks of here is not simply tea one sips, it is the tea that provides sustenance to the soul.

No comments: