Thursday, September 2, 2010

Busy day in the kitchen......and it's not over yet

ok- so my Roma tomatoes were just asking me to make something otta them - so their wish was my command.  Pasta Sause on the agenda today ~ I have alot of friend who cook who follow the recipes to an T, then there are people like me - I like to modify the recipe - in otherords make it as easy as possible.  Yes I am lazy by nature.  lol  Well I found this recipe on line - seems simple enough so what the heck.

 Pasta Sauce (3 cups)
10 tomatoes
2 _ olive oil ( I didn't write the proper measurement - so I just poured some in - lol)
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 carrots
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c basil
1/2 t Ital. seasoning
2 celery stalks

First off - let me just say  if I am going to all this effort I am gonna make more than 3 cups!  Turns out I had 40 Roma tomatoes, still used 1 onion, 6 green pepper - also had 3 habinarros (HOT) so I they them in too.  Added a bunch of carrots & celery and fresh basil from my herb garden and 1 c Ital. seasoning.  
The directions said to boil the whole tomatoes in hot water then put them in cold & skin..........oh no.  Woman with food processors here!!!  I put ecerything in the food processor & crancked that baby up till things were smooooth.  Told ya I was lazy.  Put it all in a big pan, brought it to a boil  & let it cook for a few hours. 
Soooooo....right after Days of Our Lives ( love it!!! ) My pasta sauce was ready to put in the containers - I decided to freeze my sauce. Well...do you remeber theose 3 habinarros I thought I would just throw in - OMG - I took a taste & I know I lost at least two layers of skin in my mouth - what to do  what to do   what to do?????? I called my cuz - she didn't know either  lol.......................so I pulled 3 containers of sauce & am calling them 3 Alarm Chili Starter (good save huh?!)  I added suger to the rrest of the sauce in the pot - it took a little heat off - so I ended up freezing 4 containers of Pasta Sauce.   I am just gonna say that was my plan from the beginning - HA!

One would say thats alot for a day - oh  not not for a domstic goddess like myself - haha.  I marched my aprowaering self out to the herb garden and.....

cut a huge basket of fesh basil, popped some walnuts & pine nuts in a 400 degreen oven for 10 minutes to roast them - so yummy - of course I had to test them!!! I was gonna make two kinds of pesto & freeze them for later this winter - yummy pesto on pasta or as pizza sauce - YUM! And of course SOOOOOO EASY!

Basil Pesto
3 c fresh basil
3 cloves garlic
2 T roasted pine nuts
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 t lemon juice
1/2 c fresch parm. cheese - if you are planning to freeze- admit cheese till you are ready to serve.

Basil Walnut Pesto
Same as recipe above - except - replace pine nuts with walnuts

Put everything in the food processer  & go! 
I froze my in small plastic containers - place plastic wrap ontop before covering with lid - try to keep it air tight to prevent discoloration.


This will be so good on pasta, pizza, breads, etc.  Enjoy!

Now I have to return to the kitchen to make Snickers cookies for my daughter to take to school on Friday for her fav teacher's bday - this better get her an A+!

No comments: