Monday, December 31, 2012

Fashionesta...Thrift Store Fashion Challange

Fashionesta…..a passion for fashion….yes yes Yes!  I  caught the fashion bug.  Actually I have had the fashion bug for most of my life – I don’t ever remember a time when I didn’t enjoy fashion.  Growing up with a glamorous mom who was in the beauty industry I saw firsthand the tremendous amount of effort that goes into looking beautiful. 

Of course now unlike when my mom was a fashion junkie, its still effort; however things have changed drastically.  I can remember the endless number of wigs my mom used to wear….it was so cool – she would have a different style & color each day.  Now – there are those ladies out there that still sport a wig or two from time to time, but for the most part wigs are more of a costume.

 I also remember watching my mom getting all dolled up to go out with my dad…she always looked so beautiful.  She used to paint on her face…remember the days of the heavy paste foundation and the rouge?  What about the thin drawled on eyebrows and the pink matte lipstick….now those would be considered retro..lol  

I have always enjoyed make –up….but now days I mostly only wear the bare minimum – however I do have those occasions when I cake on the war paint.  My passion is the clothing…the shoes…the accessories…the jewelry. I am pretty sure I get that from my mom who had a huge closet with tons of shoes and purses & clothes galore…everything from 60’s mode to evening glamour.  I loved going thru my mom’s closet.  She hated me going thru her closet..lol Unfortunately when I was actually old enough to wear her things….my feet were to big & I was too tall..yep – my mom is somewhat height challenged. 

As I entered my teen years my love affair with fashion was in full force.   I truly believed you are what you wear….lol  My closet was stuffed full. I loved to shop…catalogs where all the rage at that time…every birthday, xmas, whatever I wanted more clothes.  I lived & died by the fashion magazines..lol   Kinda still do…lol

As I entered my young adult years I still loved fashion…but when you have to buy it with your own money…somehow the thrill of it falls to the wayside.  With school, living expenses, car payment, food and of course my drug use….didn’t have much $$$ to feed my fashion addition.   So…I started doing the retro vintage thing before it was the thing to do. I started looking for vintage pieces at thrift stores & yard sales….at that time it was very easy to find vintage..now – not so easy.   Yes I have to admit – there were times when my look was a little off the wall…..I so enjoyed the Cindy Lauper/Madonna look…..looking back now I think what the hell was I thing??? Lol

After I had babies my fashion direction changed – of course I still wanted to look good but fashion took a back seat.  I focused my passion for fashion on my baby daughter – she was always dressed to the nines….until she decided what she was going to wear not mommy.  Lol  During that period of my life I just wanted to look as thin as possible – like that worked..lol  I sported a lot of denim legging in a variety of colors, over sized button down shirts and ….yes penny loafers with white ruffles anklets…lol   I still love penny loafer btw!

I think my fashion spark re-lit itself when we were living in the DC area.  My hubby was gone most of the time and for the first time in 6 yrs of mommy-hood I returned to work….for it going back to work was an opportunity for fashion… working in an office I wore shirts, dresses, dress pants  and of course…..shoes!  It was fun & I enjoyed it…but I still found myself hovering to the safer side of fashion….somewhat conservative…not really a risk taker….maybe being a soldiers wife & a mom altered my fashion thinking.

By the time we arrived in CA I was back to my fashion way of life….at that time I was in the mindset of more is better….again I worked in an office & bought tons of clothes…..I then changed my job to asst. manager at Lane Bryant…let’s just say the discount is great…but when you spend more than you make – there is a problem….and not that my closet was too small for all the clothes..lol

I was not a mindful fashion buyer at that time…I still thought more is better…variety is better….some things I bought I never wore or only wore them once….that is a very bad investment….it took me a few years after CA to figure it out.   Live & learn I guess.

When we returned to Ohio I quickly got a job working out of someone’s home & then out of my home so the dress code was very casual.  There were days when I would wear flannel Jammie pants all day.  Yes, I did look nice when I met friends for dinner or when out with my hubby….but for the most part my fashion life was lack luster.  Prior to moving to Columbus I decided it was time to down size my wardrobe.   I had done this one other time…..when I first married my GI Joe & moved my 600# limit of stuff to Hawaii…..let’s just say my stuff was all…shoes, handbags, accessories & clothes….he had no idea…lol

So I went thru my wardrobe piece by piece…asking myself a few simple yes or no questions…Have I worn it in the last 6 months?......Do I love it?......Do I feel good when I wear it?   If the answer was yes – they were keeps…..if the answer was no – they were outta there!  In total I had 6 huge back trash bags full of clothes & shoes to donate.  It was time for me to put some thought into my look……it was time to be more mindful of what I bought & how much I spent.

 When I returned to work out of my home about 2 yrs ago I once again had to wear office attire.  Not wanted to invest a lot of money I pretty much stuck with the basics.   I thought I looked nice….for work….my daughter on the other hand asked me why I didn’t dress nice like I used to….that was a wakeup call….what she was actually saying was what happened to me putting energy & creativity into my look like I had in the previous year’s….she was right – I lost my wow factor…lol   Somehow lost the passion…….

There are those days when I look like a middle aged housewife…but for the most part I have
 re-embarrassed my inner fashionesta…..I am back to taking chances, pushing the fashion limit, being creative….of course all of that came with a price tag.  I was spending hundreds of dollars each month onto feed my addition..However this time…I was mindful…..before I would purchase something…I would ask myself……Do love?..... Do I feel good in it?...How often would/could I wear it?...and…What do I already own that I could/would wear this with?  I am not perfect & I did make a few blunders and or bad choices..but for the most part…..my wardrobe consists of lots of black…lots of jeans…lots of shoes and a bunch of accessories….my work clothes coordinate with my fun clothes….it’s a win win!

Over the year I have often went on what I like to call a fashion hiatus…..where I would not buy any new clothing or shoes, etc.  I have to say for a gal like me – I did very well.  So…..at this point in my life….where fashion funds are tight what is a gal….a fashionesta gal like me to do?  I still want to look current & stylish without spending a lot of $$$$$. 

Over the years I have shopped at many a thrift store…..I love a great find….but it just has never really been my deal…….but……times are a changing.  I was reading online about a Thrift Store Fashion Challenge….it was from 2011…on this site  the women only bought clothing at thrift stores for 6 months….they were permitted to buy things like undies, bras, swimsuits new.  So I started thinking…..I could do this.  I already have a core of a great wardrobe…..I can so do this….but for how long?  Could I maintain this for 6 months? A year?   Ya know…shopping is shopper no matter the location – the fix is the same…..I think.

USA Today says that more than 70% of adults shop at some sort of thrift or second hand store…buying used clothing  is more socially acceptable than ever..it’s somewhat of a trend.  Below is a list from another thrift store shopping site – best tips when buying second hand clothing….

  1. Set a budget. This is difficult at first — you don’t know how much things cost. But eventually you’ll be able to tell yourself, “I’m going spend $20 today”. It becomes a game to see how much you can buy for $20.
  2. Discard your prejudices. Some people consider thrift stores and used clothing shops nasty dirty places. Some are. Most aren’t. Explore your neighborhood. Find a shop or two that you like, and you’ll be hooked.
  3. Go with a friend. It’s good to have a second opinion. Your friend may have an eye for what looks good on you — and vice versa.
  4. Try things on. Sizes vary widely between manufacturers and even by eras. (Today’s clothes have looser fits.) But go in knowing your general size and measurements. Note that some places don’t have dressing rooms, so it’s smart to wear a modest thin layer in case you need to strip down in the aisle.
  5. Examine each item thoroughly. It sucks to get home to find your new shirt has a hole in the pocket. Or that the slacks you thought were a steal actually have a broken zipper.
  6. Check washing instructions. You don’t want to pay $3 for a silk blouse if you’ll never dry-clean it.
  7. Use the tags as a guide to find quality brands you like, but don’t limit yourself. Sometimes a brand you’ve never heard of can yield a favorite piece of clothing.
  8. Think layers. Maybe that shirt with a stain on the sleeve has a great collar for wearing under a sweater. For $3, you can afford to buy a single-purpose shirt.
  9. Use thrift stores as a way to diversify your wardrobe. Buy colors and styles on which you normally wouldn’t spend much. Wear the new clothes a few times to see how you like them, and to gauge the reaction of others.
  10. Used clothing stores are great for certain accessories. Why pay $30 for a new belt in a department store when you can get a better belt in your size for just $2? I like to shop at second-hand stores for hats. (Nice hats.)
  11. Look for clothes new with tags. Sometimes unsold department store inventory finds its way to used clothing stores and thrift shops. You’ll generally pay more for these items, but not much.
  12. If you won’t wear it, don’t buy it. You don’t save money buying a $3 shirt if it just sits in your closet for two years.
  13. Wash clothes when you get them home.
  14. Watch for sales. Used clothing stores (and thrift stores) run periodic specials. Our favorite local store just ran a half-off sale. The local thrift stores often have specials on certain items.
  15. If you go to the same store often, ask when they rotate stock. Stores get new shipments regularly. Most also have extra stock in storage. If you become familiar with the owners, you might even ask them to keep an eye out for particular items.
  16. Take your time. At normal clothing shops, everything is neatly organized. Not so at most thrift stores. When thrifting, it’s more important to be patient, to browse the racks methodically.
  17. If buying used clothes becomes a habit, institute a “one in-one out policy”. Every time you bring home something new, get rid of something old. (Give it away, take it to a thrift store, or save it for a garage sale.)
  18. Have fun! Buying used clothing can save you money. It’s also a fun way to kill a Saturday afternoon. At $3 an item, you can afford to be adventurous sometimes.

……..back to the Thrift Store Fashion Challenge…..the women who participated set a month budget…they would purchase things to add to their current wardrobe….they kept track of how much they spent on each item & would take a picture when they wore it.  I am thinking not only would this be a fun challenge….I would save $$ and still look good…and get my fashion fix.   I can blog about it, post pictures of great finds….expand my wardrobe and my look….what a great idea & a great challenge.

I’m am all in! I am have decided to commit to this Thrift Store Fashion Challenge for 1 yr…..I have set my monthly spending budget at $50…..the only “NEW” things I will allow myself to buy are of course undies & bras, swimwear and athletic shoes & socks.   I know I can so do this!   Not only can I do it – but I can do it with style.

Care to join the challenge?

No comments: